Blog EXCUSES, EXCUSES, EXCUSES

Excuses: we've all used them, and especially when it comes to exercising, every trainer has heard them all, including that you haven't shaved your legs....Long pants people, long pants....

But how are they limiting your life, and preventing you from achieving your goals? It's time to face these excuses head on, and grab life with both hands. So let's see how!

• Facebook
  • Google_plusone_share
  • Linkedin
  • Twitter
  • Addthis

Excuses: we've all used them, and especially when it comes to exercising, every trainer has heard them all, including that you haven't shaved your legs....Long pants people, long pants....

But how are they limiting your life, and preventing you from achieving your goals? It's time to face these excuses head on, and grab life with both hands. So let's see how!

Firstly let's look at the different types of excuses. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of types but let's just look at the biggies. Time. Or lack of. There is money, or lack of. Having kids is another excuse. Too tired. Too sore. Too this, too that. Ask any trainer, we've heard them.

So the type of excuse is kind of like the tip of the iceberg. It's just what we see, it's the tidbit of information you give us trainers to justify why you're not exercising. But underneath the surface is something far greater. It's ultimately the reason for the excuses. So what can they be. Are you feeling scared of the unknown? Do you think you'll be judged on how you look, or how fit or unfit you are? (FYI I can stop that excuse right there, everyone else is too busy working out and having fun to be a Judgy Mcjudgy). Are you scared to fail, are you worried about how it'll feel, do you fear change?  

Now these are just some examples of reasons but they are all based around fear. And fear can be paralysing. But when you start to break down the excuses and identify why you're making them, you can take steps forward to counter them. 

So how can we overcome these excuses.

1. Have that internal dialogue. Be honest to yourself. You know what, I've had 3 kids, all via caesearian. My tummy has now become what I affectionately term my "Viennetta Icecream". If you haven't seen the top of one of those, don't worry, I'm attaching a picture so you can feel better about your life. When I do any exercise that involves running, planking, jumping, my Viennetta Icecream becomes like jelly and wobbles like a toddler learning to walk. It's all over the place. But you know what, I have that internal dialogue. I tell myself that my body gets more benefits from working out than worrying about the wobble. So talk kindly but honestly to yourself. Work out the real reason you're making the excuse.

2. Overcome the type of excuse. Let's look at the biggies again.

TIME: So what do you consider as valuable time? Is sitting watching TV more important than squeezing in a workout. Or is sitting listening to the office gossip versus getting a lunchtime workout in considered valuable. You need to prioritise your health. You get one body. What you do with it is up to you. Again, here's that honesty word creeping back in. Be honest with yourself, how important is it for you to be healthy. 

MONEY: Hey I get it, we're not all Mr and Mrs Moneybags. But using lack of money as an excuse is more to the point, a lack of ideas. Do your sums. Can you switch something you currently spend your money on, and replace it with your health. Do you buy softdrink, coffee, takeaway breakfast, lunches and dinners, go out a lot on the weekends. Break down your budget. Think outside the box. 

TOO TIRED: I love this one. Because guess what exercising gives you.....wait for it....it's a doozy......it gives you, drum roll please....MORE ENERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While you're exercising all these wonderful feel good hormones are being released, which make you feel better, make your head clearer, and your body buzz. When exercising, oxygen and nutrients are being delivered to your tissues which help make your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. You know when you see someone who exercises all the time, and say: I wish I had that much energy. Well guess what! You could!!!! Exercise helps you sleep better at night and perform better in the day. I'd say that's reason enough to dump that excuse.

KIDS: You didn't have children so you could use them to be an excuse. You are in such a unique position. You are a role model to your children. That's why I love FIT360. Bring your kids with you. They can start to learn why exercise matters. Workout with them! I love watching parents and kids exercise together. 

I'M TOO UNFIT/HAVE TO GET FIT BEFORE I CAN DO THAT CLASS: Nobody got fit by being fit. Everyone starts at base level camp here. If you don't even start then you'll always be as you are. Stop putting judgements on yourself. Just get in and get it done. 

Focussing on the solutions, being honest with yourself. These are ways to overcome those excuses. Don't like working out alone, well don't! Workout with a friend. Or make new ones with our awesome members. 

At the end of the day, the only person that can overcome these excuses is you. And I believe you have the ability to do it. So DO IT!!!!!

In fitness and health,

Sharni x